Special Holiday Edition Everything You Need to Start the New Year Right!
Kale Salad with all the Fixings
One of the most important things about a great recipe is presentation. I truly believe people eat with their eyes. This beautiful salad was created with a variety of colors and textures. The perfect salad for a light holiday lunch as the summer just comes to an end. The fixings can be endless! Customize it to make it your own. For a neat and polished look, cut the vegetables with a mandoline. Don’t forget to use a protective glove!
3-4 bunches of Tuscan kale, chopped (stems removed)
1 can chick peas
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 small purple cabbage, shredded
2 avocados, sliced
1 cup of cooked brown or black rice
1 raw candy cane or yellow beet, sliced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sweet white miso paste
3 tablespoons light brown sugar or agave
1.Blend dressing ingredients in mini chop or blender.
2. Pour over kale and mix. Tuscan kale is not tough and will wilt down.
3. Top neatly with the fixings in sections, and serve.
Panko Crusted Lemon Sole
With tomatoes at their peak as summer comes to a close, this is a perfect seasonal dish. This delicious classic trio of tomatoes, fresh basil, and garlic can never go wrong. If you’d like to use heirloom tomatoes, they can bring this already wonderful dish to another level! Great for a holiday lunch.
1 pound lemon sole sliced in 1/2 the long way
1 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup olive oil
2-3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Place fish onto baking sheet. Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
2. In a small bowl mix panko, garlic, chopped basil, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place tomatoes down the center of fish to cover.
4. Sprinkle again with kosher salt.
5. Top the fish with panko mixture.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes uncovered.
7. Garnish with chopped basil.
Claudia Bildirici is a married mother of four with a passion for food, desserts, and making people happy. Follow her on Instagram @Claudiaathome and bring her into your home, by booking Claudia for a cooking class party for your next happy occasion!