YESHIVAT LEV TORAH Sponsors Grand Siyum and Special Lag Ba'omer Event
Looking to land that interview for that perfect position? Well the first thing that will get you through the gatekeeper is a strong resume. After having reviewed thousands of resumes, our experts have compiled a list of the top tips to build that perfect resume:
• One pager - Make sure that you do your best to try to fit it all on one page. Employers are not interested in reading a novel for a resume - they want straight and to the point.
• Clear info - Start with your complete contact information, followed by either your work experience or education. When describing your experience make sure that you have dates and stick to 3 or 4 bullet points of some of the highlights of that position.
• About you - asides from school and work, employers want to know a little bit about you and what your interests are. So if you volunteer in a local organization, involved in a charity, or part of any clubs or local chambers - let them know. That may be the difference in you getting that dream job!
• Proofread - Proofread, proofread, proofread! I cannot begin to tell you how many resumes we see with typographical and grammatical errors. Don’t rely on your computer to correct you, read it over on your own and when you’re done have a friend take another look at it.
• Social media - Be aware that most employers today will not solely rely on the piece of paper they received from you. In this day and age employers are googling candidates and finding out a lot more information than sometimes necessary - so make that you google yourself before you let that first resume out there.
Finally, pass your resume around to some of your friends, family, mentors, or even a career services firm so that you have that 3rd party professional opinion on whether or not your resume is ready to go!