Pizza is the perfect food. It can be eaten without cutlery and appeals to people of all ages. Virtually any flavor combination can be translated into a pizza form. Although the thought of pizza tends to invoke cheese and tomato sauce vibes, meat pizzas are equally delicious. This taco style pizza is a great weeknight dinner idea or can work as a superb Shabbat meal appetizer as well.
2 large onions, cut lengthwise
1 tbsp canola oil
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 package of frozen store-bought pizza dough, thawed
½ red bell pepper, sliced into strips
½ yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil 1 avocado, cubed
1 cup black beans
1 hard taco shell or 1 cup tortilla chips
½ cup fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pan, sauté onions in canola oil until golden. Remove half for pizza topping.
- Add ground beef to half the onions in the pot and cook on a medium flame until browned. Use a potato masher or fork to break up beef into small pieces.
- Add tomato paste, salt, and taco seasoning to the pan and cover to cook, about 20 more minutes.
- Stretch or roll out room temperature pizza dough until thin.
- Spread the ground beef evenly on the raw pizza dough.
- Bake pizza uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the bottom is crisp and lightly golden.
- Place pepper strips in a separate pan with olive oil, minced garlic, and salt to taste. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Top with reserved onions, roasted peppers, black beans, and avocado.
- 1 Top with crumbled taco shell or tortilla chips, and fresh parsley.