Kids – See if you have what it takes to become a Junior Chef!
Adult Supervision Required.
8-inch pizza pans
Measuring cups and spoons
3½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ ounce dry yeast
1-2 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
¾ cup jarred marinara sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded mozzarella
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
3 plum tomatoes
Bunch fresh parsley (optional)
Let’s Get Started!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of lukewarm water until layers of foam form (up to 5 minutes), then add to the flour mixture.
- Add olive oil and stir until the dough begins to form a ball in the bowl. If dough is dry, add more water, ¼ cup at a time. Mix together until dough is sicky and moist.
- Separate the dough into 3 portions. Sprinkle a pizza pan with olive oil, then take one of the dough sections and use the rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle. Use your fingers to push the dough to the edge of the pizza pan. Repeat with the other 2 dough balls.
- Cut the plum tomatoes into thin slices. Divide the sauce evenly among the pizza, then layer on mozzarella and tomato slices. Sprinkle on dried oregano.
- Bake the pizza pies until crust is browned (15 to 20 minutes).
- Let cool and place on cutting board to slice with pizza cutter.
- Optional: Tear leaves of fresh parsley into small pieces and spread on pizzas.
Makes 3 Pizza Pies!
NASA left 12.5 million tomato seeds in space and they recollected them after 6 years. The seeds were given to school children for growing. The space-exposed seeds grew just as good as the earth-bound counterparts!
Tasty Tomato Pizza Pie
Chef Shiri Says…
Ripe tomatoes aren’t always red. They can be yellow, pink, purple, black, and even white!
Kids Cooking with Chef Shiri is presented by The Jewish World of Wonders
Prayer Pointers From
Buzz the Brachos Bee
Ideally, when you recite a berachah, you should give another Jew the merit of answering “Amen,” which also gives extra importance to the blessing.