With just a few ingredients and minimal cooking time, this creamy potato soup is so easy to make, yet loaded with flavor. Plus, this velvety soup is ultra-rich without any dairy! Caramelized onions blended into the soup and then added again before serving add loads of flavor while coconut milk lends to the creaminess. Virtually any milk will work, so you can swap for soy, almond, or regular. Be sure to dice the potatoes uniformly so they will cook evenly. Just one bowl of this tasty and luscious soup is sure to keep you satisfied and warm on any cold winter night.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 large onions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 yellow potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups croutons
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onions. Cook for about ten minutes until caramelized. Remove half the onions and reserve for later.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add diced potatoes to the pot along with the vegetable broth, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then cook for another 40 minutes on low.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- If needed, add ½ cup of water at a time if too thick.
- Serve warm with croutons and reserved caramelized onions.