By Susan Zayat
What’s a Hanukah meal without some yummy fried food? Here is a fun twist to a classic dish that’s perfect to enhance any Hanukah meal! Best part is, they can be made in advance, up until the last step. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 box elbow noodles
- Cheddar cheese
- Marinara sauce
- Boil a box of elbow noodles. Drain, and set aside. In a separate pot melt ¼ cup butter. Add ½ cup of all purpose flour and mix until it turns a light brown color. Add 1 cup of milk and mix until thick. Add ¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese adding a handful at a time mixing in between. Mix until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Add the sauce to the cooked noodles and mix well. Transfer to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Roll cold noodles into tight balls. If it’s not sticking together, then put it back in the fridge for a little while longer and roll them out again.
- Once rolled, put on a parchment lined paper for at least one hour.
- At this point you can make these in advance and do the following step before serving.
- Beat 2 eggs with ½ cup of milk. Dip the frozen Mac N Cheese balls into the egg mixture, then into panko crumbs, back into the egg mixture and then again into the panko crumbs. Making sure it is covered really well.
- Now for the fun part, deep fry! Leave them until they turn a nice golden color. Drain the excess oil on a cooling rack, heat up your favorite marinara sauce and use as a dipping sauce, and enjoy!
Recipe by Susan Zayat. For more recipes and ideas follow @Hungrymom on Instagram. Check out her amazing homemade spelt sourdough for sale.
Photo styled and photographed by Sarah Husney. Sarah Husney is a food photographer servicing NY & NJ. She has clients from the food businesses in the community upgrading their photos for Instagram and websites. Contact info: 917 626 2991 / @sarahhusney_foodphoto.