Once you’ve tried this homemade ramen, you won’t want to eat those store-bought cups of noodle soup again. Leftover chicken soup can work well in this recipe by eliminating the extra step of making chicken broth and chicken. This ramen is protein packed with soft boiled eggs and juicy chicken, while the tender noodles, savory portobello mushrooms, and umami flavors come together to create a satisfying, hearty, and delicious meal.
Salt and pepper to taste
2 lbs. skinless chicken breast on bone
1 whole onion
2 + 1 whole carrots
4 sticks celery
Two portobello mushrooms caps, sliced
1-inch ginger, minced
4 cloves minced garlic
1 cup Soy sauce
1 tsp Sesame oil
Black and white sesame seeds
8 soft boiled eggs
4 packs ramen noodles
1 bunch Scallions, green and light green parts
- Broth: In a large stock pot, add skinless chicken breasts, peeled onion, celery, and two whole carrots Add salt, and fill the pot with water to top. Add salt and pepper to taste and then bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 2-3 hours.
- Remove onion, celery, and carrot from broth and discard or enjoy separately.
- Remove chicken from broth and remove chicken from the bone. Shred and set aside. Discard bone and bone fragments.
- In a sauté pan, add sesame oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Remove half of the garlic ginger mixture and place into the pot of broth. Add soy sauce to broth and keep in a low simmer.
- In the same skillet, add the sliced mushrooms to the remaining garlic-ginger mixture and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- Use a julienne peeler to slice the remaining (raw) carrot into shreds. Set aside.
- Place the ramen noodles in the hot pot of broth. Allow the noodles to sit for a couple of minutes until they loosen and soften up. The noodles will soften quickly, so this should be done right before serving.
- Divide the ramen, chicken, mushrooms, carrot shreds, soft boiled eggs, and broth evenly into bowls.
- Top the ramen with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!